The large influx of PRC Chinese into Singapore has created increasing friction between local Singaporeans and the PRC Chinese.
Please note that in this post, I may not be referring to your China wife/GF/good friend/colleague, so there's no need to get indignant and try to defend them.
Just like when people talk about the traits of ugly Singaporeans rushing for a seat on the MRT or whatever, I don't go screaming.. "Screw you! not every Singaporean is like that!!"
If you are PRC (or a lover/admirer of one), and you don't behave this way, then this is not addressed to you and you don't need to feel threatened. But...I'm sure you cannot honestly deny that you do quite often see these annoying traits displayed by the PRC here in Singapore..?
- In most cultures, it is rude to talk loudly in public. Whether you're on the phone, eating at a food court or chatting to a friend in the MRT or lift, there's no need to shout. We don't want to eavesdrop. Plus, to people who don't understand Chinese, you sound like a big plastic bag of metal forks and spoons falling down the stairs.
- Don't spit on the ground in my country. The floors here aren't made of dirt. Concrete won't absorb your spit. Plus it's unhygienic and unsightly!
- If you are going to work in the service industry answering my calls, driving a taxi or taking my food order, learn to bloody speak simple English! Sorry, but you are not in China. When in Rome... you know the drill.
- Shower EVERY morning before you get on that train with me. You do sweat and ooze impurities through your pores as you sleep at night. We all do. Plus, PRC guys, bed hair is not attractive.
- If you're a woman, shave your armpits or wear sleeved tops. exposing scraggly spider legs everytime you lift your arm can put people off their meals.
- Squat on the toilet seats if you must. Whatever you do in there is your business, I'm not going to tell you how to use the loo. But have the decency to clean up after yourself! Leave no shoe print on the seat or pool of piss on floor. Flush and then double flush if you have to.
- STOP cycling like the freaking Grand Prix. Try doing that shit on the main road instead of bullying the pedestrians. If you cycle on the pavement, don't go full speed and twang on your shitty bell expecting us to jump onto the grass verge in 2 seconds. It is dangerous. Plus, one day you will get someone who has had enough of this bullshit and (hopefully) swing a bag in your face as you ride past.
- Don't be so smug about China's achievements. You do have your shortcomings. Yes, kudos to your country on all those Olympic medals... and maybe some of you do better than local students when you're doing a short engineering stint at NUS. But at what cost?
Lastly, please don't pass yourself off as Singaporean when you act like a village monkey doing all the things mentioned above. You're giving us a bad rep!
P/s- Tmrw is the Tangem giveaway on my blog! And then the next post after that is "Hey You, Ang Moh!"
Pp/s - The giveaway for the Balenciaga Bag (worth over 2k), the Studio M stay and iPad 2 ends in 8 days! Go to BigFish.sg to register yourself, and then click on the various products offered for giveaway, and there are instructions on how to take part in each one. Usually it's a simple question where you have to SMS in the answer. Easy!